[Terps-l] interpreters as typists - question

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:34:42 UTC 2008

Since in the US, live-captioners typically make a much higher hourly wage
than ASL interpreters (in my experience, anyway), I wouldn't mind having the
necessary training... but no, sign interpreters are not required to have
stenotyping skills any more than they are required to know oral
interpreting. That said, there are interpreters who have chosen to undergo
such training, and so have increased their own repertoire of skills.

A question: are the interpreters in Norway expecteted to convert between
Bokmål and Nynorsk (and/or spoken varieties) on the fly? If so, there may be
something of the interpreter's skill still there, methinks.

-Dan.