interpreters as typists - question

Isabelle Heyerick isabelle.heyerick at fevlado.be
Wed Feb 20 10:23:28 UTC 2008

Dear Ingvild,

In the Flemish speaking and signing part of Belgium we have a 4 year
training (not full time) for the tasks you mention under 1 to 3 and 5.
There is no specific training for tactile interpreting. During the Sign
Language Interpreting training, students are introduced to tactile
communication for deaf-blind persons (only one lesson).
Students in the interpreting program have the choice between the Sign
Language program or the  "notetaker/ speech-to-text interpreter"
program. A student who opts for the notetaker / speech-to-text program,
first has to follow a Flemish Sign Language program (120 hours).

The centers organizing the Sign Language interpreting training have been
wanting to start a specialized speech-to-text interpreting training
program for some years. Due to insufficient enrollments they have not
been able to realize this up to now. They are currently thinking of
starting up the Veyboard training.

Especially in the education department (at schools and universities) it
is very common to have someone with a common bachelor degree
interpreting speech-to-text for a deaf or hard of hearing student. Since
there are few certified / trained text-to-speech interpreters the
Educational Department allows persons without specific training but with
enough typing skills to do this kind of interpreting.

There is no association (professional or other) of notetakers or
speech-to-text interpreters in Flanders.

Kind regards,

Isabelle Heyerick