AW: [SLLING-L] Plain verbs in signed languages

Fischer Susan susan.fischer at rit.edu
Wed Jan 9 19:19:07 UTC 2008

In our 1978 paper "verbs in American Sign Language " (SLS), Fischer &
Gough discussed "locational" verbs, but as Padden noted, they were
ambiguous as to whether they were "agreeing" with the subject or the
object.  For example, if one signs ASL WANT  close to the addressee
rather than in neutral space, it is unclear whether someone wants the
addressee or whether the addressee wants something.

Susan D. Fischer
Susan.Fischer at rit.edu

Center for Research on Language
UCSD