(rephrased) Two questions

Dan Jinguji danjj at u.washington.edu
Sat Jun 27 02:55:02 UTC 2009

Here's a complete stab in the dark. I think it's because of the way that they behave / are used.

They are somewhat like the counter words used in a several (actually, I think it's a number of) Asian languages. In fact, these counter terms are typically called 'classifiers'. For example, in Japanese, when I want to talk about the fact that there are kittens in room, I would say something like 'room-in-topic, kitten exist', if I wanted to say that there were three of them, 'room-in-topic, kitten three-CL exist". Now, this word glossed as 'CL' ('hiki') does not mean kitten, rather it is used when referring to (counting) any relatively small animals. So, I could use the same word for mice, ferrets, dogs, etc. There is a separate word ('tou') for large animals, (not unlike talking about "14 head of cattle").

Now, things get very interesting when we talk about ... say, pencils. There is a classifier for long, thin things. It's also used for shots (injections), logs, scrolls, trees. In that way, it's rather like the "1" ASL classifier. It can be used to refer to any long, thin thing. And, you'll notice that it cannot stand on it's own. The noun must be introduced before, either through conversational context, but generally by direct inclusion in the discourse.

Another example is "3" to mean vehicle. It does not mean, 'car' or 'bus' or 'truck' or ... but once the noun has been introduced, it can be used to represent it. Is this making any sense ... or am I just blathering on.

(rather than risk of blathering incomprehensibly ... I stop now ... comments?)

Dan