Digest is unuseable b/c/o broken or misapplied HTML

Mark Mandel mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Tue Aug 9 15:52:51 UTC 2011

The daily digest form of the newsletter is unuseable. It looks like an HTML digest, with links from the table of contents to the topics and a link on each message item. Well, it *is* HTML, but the message links are not normal URIs. Here's an example from today's digest (with angle brackets changed to square brackets):

[a href="cid:574 at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU"]Re: SLLing-L -- to stay connected, respond to this email ... :)[/a]

Mac's Mail application says
-----
ERROR
No associated application could be found.
-----

When I forward it to my gmail account and read it in Firefox, it's no better.

As far as I can see, the cid tag is used with images, and I don't know what it's doing here. In any case, it's useless and almost certainly a mistake. But I'll stay with the digest until it shows some topic besides "to stay connected, respond to this email ... :)".

--
Mark A. Mandel
Linguistic Data Consortium