HK needs your support for Sign Bilingualism in Deaf Education

Gladys Tang gtang at CUHK.EDU.HK
Fri May 23 08:32:10 UTC 2014

Dear all,

There will be a Legislative Council meeting on 28th May, 2014 with a special focus on sign bilingualism in deaf education in HK. Not much has been done by the HK Government although they had signed CRPD in 2008. The Centre for Sign Linguistics and Deaf Studies, backed by a great majority of Deaf organisations, parents associations, research centres, and some Legislative Counsellors, will meet with the officers of the Education Bureau to discuss the introduction of sign bilingualism in both deaf school and mainstream school settings in HK, in compliance with CRPD Article 24. Of course, we are appealing to our HK Government for funding to develop such a system.

Attached please find a document in which it contains a letter of appeal, a brief summary of the history of sign language in deaf education in HK, and a reply slip. If you are prepared to support our appeal, kindly sign the reply slip and return it to us by 26 May, 2014.

If you want to write a letter of appeal directly to support our movement, you are most welcome to do so. We can submit your letter to EDB at a later stage.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Gladys Tang
Director, Centre for Sign Linguistics and Deaf Studies
The Chinese University of Hong Kong