Deaf non-profit organization for SignWriting, and Unicode...

Sun Jun 22 16:07:11 UTC 2003

SignWriting List
June 22, 2003

Dear SW List, and Stuart...
Thanks for mentioning your new non-profit organization, which includes
working with SignWriting.... Your organization is founded by Deaf
people....That is the way it should be....Do you have a name for your
organization yet?

Regarding SignWriting and Unicode, I remember once long ago, you
mentioned to me that HamNoSys is in Unicode now? Or did I not remember
that correctly? I would think that HamNoSys would easily be used in
Unicode, if they still write their writing system from left to right,
in horizontal fashion...

Unicode does not give a "typing method"...if we want to type
SignWriting down the page, for example, even if we have Unicode, we
will then have to program using that Unicode within other computer
programs...so Unicode is not a typing method, but a way to categorize
symbols under an internationally accepted coding system...(at least
that is my understanding)...

More soon about Unicode...

Val ;-)