支格阿鲁

Ziwo Lama lamaziwo at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 22 15:00:46 UTC 2014

Dear David,

Zhige'ar, with several various names such as Zhige'alu, Chige'alu, and so on, is an epic of Yi, which is definitely not recently-invented one. I heard the story of Zhige'alu when I was still in my elementary school (told by one of my aunts). But I somehow doubt this epic might be related to Tibetan's Gesar  格萨尔 and Mongolian's Gesir 格斯尔. Most scholars now believe that the Mongolian's epic  Gesir is derived from Tibetan's. Probably the Yi's may have the same origin with the Tibetan's, too, but I don't have any study about their relationship. At least, one can guess from the similarity of their pronunciations. And the most important thing is that all of them have very similar story.

Best regards,

Ziwo