The name FUPA

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Mon Feb 25 08:15:21 UTC 2002

(from Klaas Ruppel, klaas.ruppel at kotus.fi)

"FUPA" is in invention of us three. The traditional abbreviation has
been "FUT": Fenno-Ugric Transcription. FUPA was invented as a pair to
"IPA" (International Phonetic Alphabet) with the purpose that the
standardization folks would better understand the nature of this
system. Since the abbreviation FUPA has no tradition and FUT may not
be clear enough in the standardization field, I have nothing against
the idea to change FUPA into UPA in this connection.

The (F)UPA system has been / is used for some Turkic languages and -
as far as I know - some diacritics of (F)UPA are used in the ALE
(Atlas Linguarum Europae) which otherwise uses IPA.
--
|\ |\ |\  Klaas Ruppel http://www.kotus.fi/english.html

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html