The name FUPA

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Thu Feb 28 12:10:40 UTC 2002

(Michael Everson (everson at evertype.com) writes:)

>(Klaas Ruppel (klaas.ruppel at kotus.fi) writes:)
>
>Michael Everson (everson at evertype.com) writes:
>>   > I don't much like "FUT".
>
>Is it because a FU... -like not very nice abbreviation already exists
>in English?

That's not an abbreviation, it's an ancient and noble Germanic word...

No, I like the FU well enough. I don't like "transcription", and I
prefer Phonetic alphabet.

>>I am inclined to stick to it because it does seem that the
>>   > bulk of material written in it belongs to that branch of Uralic.
>
>Michael, in our proposal the evidence shown in the Figures comes for
>an important part from Samoyedic languages: Lehtisalo,
>Juraksamojedisches Wörterbuch (Fig. 39-57, 88). Also Fig. 67 has
>Samoyedic.

Oops.

>Actually I do not know what to do yet.

Translate "Finno-Ugric Phonetic Alphabet" and "Uralic Phonetic
Alphabet" into German and Finnish and taste them for a while,
comparing them to "International Phonetic Alphabet". Whichever one we
choose is the one which we will probably become the standard name
after our monograph on Unicode implementation becomes available.....
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com

(un)subscribe ura-list my.own at email.address
Mirror archive: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/ura-list.html