FWD: South Asian Grammatical Literature Wanted

Tej Bhatia tkbhatia at MAILBOX.SYR.EDU
Tue Aug 28 13:19:07 UTC 2001

Dear Ashok jii,

The following article might interest you.

Bhatia, Tej K. 2001. Grammatical traditions in contact: The case of India.
Journal of Asian and African Studies, No. 61. Tokyo University of Foreign
Studies, pp. 303-331.

This article deals with the traditional and Western influence on
grammatical literature of South Asia.

Best,
Tej

>VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
>Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York
>          John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck, Germany
>Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: INFO VYAKARAN
>Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say:
>          SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
>          (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name)
>Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu
>
>Dear Ashok,
>
>        There is a Paninian grammar of Kashmiri called the
><kashmiirashabdaamrta>. I believe there's a Delhi Univ PhD dissertation on
>it that was written about twenty years ago.
>
>        All the best,
>
>                Peter
>
>On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, John Peterson wrote:
>
>> VYAKARAN: South Asian Languages and Linguistics Net
>> Editors:  Tej K. Bhatia, Syracuse University, New York
>>           John Peterson, University of Osnabrueck, Germany
>> Details:  Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say: INFO VYAKARAN
>> Subscribe:Send email to listserv at listserv.syr.edu and say:
>>           SUBSCRIBE VYAKARAN FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME
>>           (Substitute your real name for first_name last_name)
>> Archives: http://listserv.syr.edu
>>
>> Professor Aklujkar  has asked me to forward this for him to the list. Please
>> don't respond to me but either to him personally or to the list.
>> John
>>

>> > Dear Colleagues,
>> >
>> > I need specific references to literature that discusses the *traditional,
>> > pre-Western-influence* grammatical or linguistic literature in South Asian
>> /
>> > Indic languages (books or articles on traditional grammars, dictionaries,
>> > prosody descriptions, etc.) I have this information for Sanskrit, Pali,
>> > Prakrits, Tamil, Marathi, and (to some extent, I hope) Hindi. In the case
>> of
>> > Marathi, the following Marathi book contains the relevant information (as
>> it
>> > does on British-period Marathi grammars):
>> >
>> > Arjunavadakara, Krsna Srinivasa. 1992. Marathi vyakaranaca itihasa.
>> Mumbai:
>> > Mumbai Visvavidyalaya, Marathi Vibhaga; Pune: Jnanamudra.
>> >
>> > In the case of Hindi, I hope that the following publication will be useful
>> > (I did not so far have time to actually see its copy in my university's
>> > library):
>> >
>> > Bhatia, Tej K. 1987. A History of the Hindi Grammatical Tradition:
>> > Hindi-Hindustani Grammar, Grammarians, History and Problems. Handbuch der
>> > Orientalistik. 2. Abteilung, Indien. Ergnzungsband 4. Leiden
>> [Netherlands];
>> > New York : E.J. Brill.
>> >
>> > Thus, my request primarily pertains to traditional grammatical/linguistic
>> > literature in the remaining major Indo-Aryan (Assamese, Bengali, Oriya,
>> > Punjabi, Gujarati, etc.) and Dravidian languages (Telugu, Malayalam,
>> > Kannada). For the latter, I can glean some references from S.
> [...]

Tej K. Bhatia
Professor
Linguistics & Cognitive Sciences
Chancellor's Exceptional Academic Excellence Professor
312 HBC, Syracuse University
Syracuse, New York 13244-1160
email: tkbhatia at mailbox.syr.edu
http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/southasiacenter/Faculty/Tej/Default.htm