Name this construction

Bob Eaton pete_dembrowski at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 6 13:35:46 UTC 2006

Does anyone have a reference describing the tense/aspect/mood of the Hindi construction:

V-PERF   to.be-PERF    PRES

Or in words: the main semantic verb in the perfective aspect, followed by "to.be" also in the perfective aspect, followed by a tense auxiliary. For example,

      मैंने
     यह
     काम
     किया
     हुआ
     है।

      mai.n-ne
     y-ah
     kaam
     ki-y-aa
     hu-0-aa
     h-ai

      1SG-ERG
     PRX-sg
     work
     to.do-PERF-msg
     to.be-PERF-msg
     PRES-3sg

It seems to be some form of present perfect aspect, but I need to understand how it is different from the regular present perfect:

      मैंने
     यह
     काम
     किया
     है।

      mai.n-ne
     y-ah
     kaam
     ki-y-aa
     h-ai

      1SG-ERG
     PRX-sg
     work
     to.do-PERF-msg
     PRES-3sg

      I have done this work.

That is, what does the addition of "to.be" in the perfective aspect do for it.

[I'm asking, because Kangri and Dogri make this distinction morphologically, and I'm trying to describe it].

Thanks in advance,
Bob