cancel hrasva-dirgha for (i, u)

Madhukar N. Gogate mngogate1932 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 10 15:50:28 UTC 2007

Subject -- Cancel hrasva-dirgha for (i, u)

  Very kind of Mr Uttam Gajjar for message below.

  I draw attention to article E15 in www.mngogate.com
  called Sister Languages, where (hrasva dirgha point)
  is mentioned. Please note that in Shivaji-Peshva regimes,
  (also in some states outside Maharashtra where Marathi
  sansthaniks ruled, such as Baroda, Indore, Gwalior)
  official Marathi records were in Modi script which had
  not taken hrasva-dirgha duality for (i, u). So the concept
  is not new to Marathi minds. Poets may object regarding
  (laghu, guru) for vrutta-poems. But note many singers may
  prolong hrasva vowel and sqeeze dirgha vowel to suit tunes.

  Note that Southern Indian languages need hrasva-dirgha,
  like English does (kin-keen, pull-pool, get-gate, hole-whole),
  not only for (i, u) but also for (e, o). Northern languages
  like Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi, Oriya might be able to
  drop that duality. Meanings may change just for few
  words, but can be inferred from context.

  -- Madhukar N Gogate