World Wide Words -- 03 Mat 14

Michael Quinion michael.quinion at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu May 1 22:02:00 UTC 2014

WORLD WIDE WORDS            ISSUE 880            Saturday 3 May 2014
       This mailing also contains an HTML-formatted version.
          A formatted version is also available online at
             http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/mtmy.htm

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments.
2. Opusculum.
3. Wordface.
4. Marthambles.
5. Sic!
6. Useful information.

1. Feedback, Notes and Comments
INFLAMMABLE  Graham Thomas commented: "Surely it is necessary only
to know the verb 'to inflame' in order to be in no doubt as to the
meaning of 'inflammable'?" That might seem so, but as "inflame" is
used figuratively, the connection isn't especially obvious. That's
true of "inflammation", too. Therefore, to answer Pádraig McCarthy,
there's no risk of us being urged to use "flammatory language" or
"anti-flammatory medication".

Jennifer Atkinson wrote from Tasmania: "During my working life as a
pharmacist, Australia's legally required labelling of inflammable
goods changed from 'inflammable' to 'flammable'. How interesting
that the change had such good reasons and was not the 'modern
silliness' that I objected to." Ronald Davis noted, "In Canada, most
labels have to be in both official languages. Thus, one often sees
the seemingly contradictory label containing both 'flammable' (in
English) and 'inflammable' (in French)."

Kathy Phillips remarked, "While reading your comments I started
wondering about 'debone' versus 'bone' in relation to cooking. Which
term is correct, to bone a chicken or debone it? Or are these words
interchangeable also?" My impression is that, in Britain, "bone" is
easily the more often encountered. "Debone" is a comparatively
recent introduction in North America, dating from the 1880s, and is
much more common there. It's an odd formation because it implies
that the opposite is also possible.

2. Opusculum  /@'pVskjUl at m/  (for key see http://wwwords.org/pr)
In 2009, J C McKeown of the University of Wisconsin described his
book Cabinet of Roman Curiosities as an opusculum, an assessment
both appropriate and modest. An opusculum is a little work, usually
a book

For most of us, "opusculum" means nothing, which disgusted the late
Anthony Burgess. In one of his diatribes in old age lamenting the
decline of education he challenged guests at his dinner table with
idiolect, palinlogue, desquamation, lesbic, autophagous, inesculent,
monophthongal, autocephalous, allomorph, strabismus ... and
opusculum.

I may return to some of these another time, but for the moment must
restrict myself to explaining that "opusculum" is the diminutive of
Latin "opus". For the Romans, opus was any sort of labour, but it
has come to mean an artistic work, in particular one on a large
scale. We meet it most frequently in music but it can be used of
books, paintings and other media. It appears also in magnum opus,
literally "great work", the most important creation of an artist.
Burgess would undoubtedly have known that if one were in the
unlikely situation of wanting to discuss the most significant output
of several artists, one should describe them as their magna opera.

Though "opera" is the plural of "opus" it's rarely used that way,
since "opera" has taken on a life of its own as a singular noun for
the musical genre. This came about in Italian, in which it meant a
composition in which poetry, dance, and music were combined, thus
including several types of opus.

The plural of "opusculum" is "opuscula", which widely appears in
scholarly contexts but is otherwise rare.

    It is many years since Sir Sacheverell Sitwell's
    Collected Poems appeared: more than 40, indeed. Since
    then, a few privately printed opuscula have been
    distributed among friends.
    [Financial Times, 7 Aug. 1982.]

3. Wordface
PASSING ON  The term "hand-me-up" appeared in several UK newspapers
this past week as the result of some research by the online retailer
Pixmania. It's an obvious play on "hand-me-down", which is known
from the early nineteenth century, but I'd no previous memory of it
and was surprised to find that it's been around for decades. In the
current sense, an early example appeared in BusinessWeek of July
1998: "And more and more older users are joining the throng as PC
prices fall and adult children give 'hand-me-up' computers to mom
and dad." The recent usages relate to mobile phones which young
people consider outdated but which parents and older relatives, less
concerned with fashion, find useful. The term can be traced back
still further, to 1986, in the related sense of people passing on
items of clothing to older relatives.

RIVER LOW, MOUNTAIN HIGH  There are about 7000 languages in the
world. It has long been realised that their diversity, area for
area, is much greater in Africa and the Asia-Pacific region than in
Europe and the Americas. Jacob Bock Axelsen and Susanna Manrubia
wondered to what extent environmental factors influence the
distribution of languages. They made a detailed statistical analysis
covering a large number of possible factors, including vegetation,
temperature, rainfall, altitude and population density. They
reported last week in the Proceedings of the Royal Society that - as
common sense might suggest - the most important factors are rivers
and mountains, which act as barriers and lead to isolation and the
fragmentation of languages in the same way that they cause
biological populations to create new species. Rivers can
paradoxically also make communication easier, bringing languages
together and promoting the creation of new ones.

4. Marthambles
Q. I remember discussions we once had on a Patrick O'Brian list
about his use of the word "marthambles" for a disease. We spent much
time looking for its origin and meaning but couldn't uncover it. Did
he make it up? [Ed McDevitt]

A. The author Patrick O'Brian rarely invented words, as he was a
careful and accurate researcher of all matters maritime and medical,
though he did have an impish sense of humour. He seems to have been
rather fond of "marthambles", using it in six of his naval stories
about Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr Stephen Maturin.

    He asked 'How is our fourth man?' meaning Abse, a
    member of the afterguard, whose complaint was known as the
    marthambles at sea and griping of the guts by land, a
    disease whose cause Stephen did not know and whose
    symptoms he could only render more nearly bearable by
    opiates: he could not cure it.
    [The Nutmeg of Consolation, by Patrick O'Brian,
    1991.]

However, O'Brian is seriously inconsistent. In The Surgeon's Mate,
he says Maturin "had cured Mrs Broad, the landlady and an excellent
plain cook, of the marthambles" and in Desolation Island the crew
says he similarly cured Prince Billy of it (this is presumably
Prince William Frederick, great-nephew of George III, widely known
as Silly Billy). Another surgeon claims in The Wine-Dark Sea that
the disease is "as deadly as measles or the smallpox to islanders".
We are left ignorant of the nature of the ailment and how serious it
really is. There's a good reason for that - it's not a real disease.

Other examples of the word are on record. Dorothy Dunnett included
it in her historical novel The Ringed Castle of 1971. It also turns
up in an article on quackery in the issue of the American Medical
Gazette for May 1859. It quotes a seventeenth-century medical faker
named Tom Jones, whose words were reproduced in The Harangues or
Speeches of Several Famous Mountebanks in Town and Country of 1690:

    These quacks may fitly be called soliniates, because
    they prescribe only one kind of physic, for all
    distempers: that is, a vomit. If a man has bruised his
    elbow, take a vomit, says the doctor. If you have any
    corns, take a vomit. If he has torn his coat, take a
    vomit. For the jaundice, fever, flux, gripes, gout, - nay,
    even the distempers that only my friend the famous Dr.
    Tuff, whom you all know, knows as the hocognicles,
    marthambles, the moonpauls, and the strongfives, - a
    vomit; tantum.
    [I can find no other example of "soliniate"; "tantum"
    is medical Latin from "tantus", meaning "so much".]

The famous Dr Tuff must be the same mountebank that O'Brian refers
to in an interview printed in the Patrick O'Brian Newsletter in
March 1994:

    Marthambles is a very fine word that I found in a
    quack's pamphlet of the late 17th or early 18th century
    advising a nostrum that would cure not only 'the strong
    fires' and a whole variety of more obvious diseases but
    the marthambles too. I have never seen it anywhere else
    and it has escaped the OED.

It turns out, with the help of C J S Tompson's The Quacks of Old
London of 1928, that Dr Tuff was really Dr Tufts. Tufts produced a
pamphlet in 1675 that has several times been reproduced:

    There is newly arrived from his travels, a gentleman,
    who, after above forty years' study, hath, by a wonderful
    blessing on his endeavours, discovered, as well the nature
    as the infallible cure of several strange diseases, which
    (though as yet not known to the world) he will plainly
    demonstrate to any ingenious artist, to be the greatest
    causes of the most common distempers incident to the body
    of man. The names of which take as follow: The strong
    fives, The marthambles, The moon-pall, The hockogrocle.
    Now, though the names, natures, symptoms, and several
    cures of these diseases, are altogether unknown to our
    greatest physicians, and the particular knowledge of them
    would (if concealed) be a vast advantage to the aforesaid
    person; yet, he well knowing that his country's good is to
    be preferred to his private interest, doth hereby promise
    all sorts of people, a faithful cure of all or any of the
    diseases aforesaid, at as reasonable rates as our modern
    doctors have for that of any common distemper.
    [As quoted in Ten Thousand Wonderful Things, by Edmund
    Fillingham King, 1860. King slightly modified the spelling
    and orthography of the original.]

Marthambles - later also spelled markambles - was an invention by Dr
Tufts to frighten patients into paying for his useless nostrums. He
wasn't alone in his trickery - others in the same period created the
bonny scrubs, the glimmering of the gizzard, the quavering of the
kidneys, and the wambling trot as ailments worthy of their well-paid
attention.

Patrick O'Brian slyly bamboozled his readers with his various
statements about its nature. Fair enough, it was mythical, after
all. But I wonder at his failure to borrow "hockogrocle".

Lyn Mehl records that at the end of an article in the May-June issue
of Dogs Naturally a brief biography of the author stated: "She lives
in York, Maine with her husband, two dogs and two cats; they are all
rescues."

The Daily Mail's website could keep this section in material by
itself. Stewart Hartley found this sentence in a report of 24 April
about the owner of the South Korean ferry that recently sank: "Last
night, police were seen leaving Byung-eun's home with cardboard
boxes and a church which Byung-eun is said to have an interest in."

Sometime last week there was a discussion on BFBS Forces Radio in
Cyprus about a Commonwealth War Graves cemetery. Pattie Tancred
heard the announcer inform his listeners that there is a "section
reserved for personnel who died in both the First and Second World
Wars."

Max Jackson sent a link to an article on Business Insider dated 24
April about the Google co-founder Larry Page: "Google's human
resources boss, a serious woman with bangs named Stacey Sullivan,
thought Page's plan was nuts."

An unfortunately worded item on the Market Research Reports website
startled Bernard Robertson-Dunn: "Healthcare is clearly becoming an
area where key killer applications emerge." And Steve Colby noted
this headline on the Daily Caller website: "Feds Might Slash Funding
As Exploding Medicaid Applicants Struggle To Enroll."

A Sky News website item on 29 April surprised Stephen Brown: "Almost
one in 10 heads and senior staff who responded said in the past year
a child aged between five and seven had worn a nappy to school. The
figure was 5% for classroom teachers."

6. Useful information
you can make yourself, though if problems occur you can e-mail me at
wordssubs at worldwidewords.org. To change your subscribed address,
leave the list or re-subscribe, go to http://wwwords.org/sb. This
newsletter is also available on RSS (http://wwwords.org/rs) and on
Twitter (http://wwwords.org/tw). Back issues are available via
http://wwwords.org/bk.

E-MAIL CONTACT ADDRESSES: Comments on newsletter mailings are always
welcome. They should be sent to michael.quinion at worldwidewords.org.
I do try to respond, but pressures of time often stop me from doing
so. Items for Sic! should go to sic at worldwidewords.org. Questions
intended to be answered in the Q and A section should be sent to
questions at worldwidewords.org, not to me directly.

SUPPORT WORLD WIDE WORDS: If you have enjoyed this newsletter and
would like to help defray its costs and those of the linked Web
site, please visit the support page via http://wwwords.org/st.

COPYRIGHT: World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 2014. All
rights reserved. You may reproduce this newsletter in whole or part
in free newsletters, newsgroups or mailing lists or as educational
resources provided that you include the copyright notice above and
give the web address of http://www.worldwidewords.org. Reproduction
of items in printed publications or commercial websites requires
permission from the author beforehand.