CB Slanguage Language Dictionary; Snickerdoodle

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Oct 21 03:42:39 UTC 1999

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> SNICKERDOODLE
>
>      OCLC WorldCat has:
>
> 1974--HOW TO MAKE SNICKERDOODLES AND 100 OTHER RECIPES FOR FUN AND LEARNING
> by the Family Learning Centers, Inc. (adapated from the West Virginia Day
> Care Enrichment Program).
> 1975--SLUMPS, GRUNTS, AND SNICERDOODLES: WHAT COLONIAL AMERICA ATE AND WHY by
> Lila Perl.

Betty Crocker's Cookbook, copyright 1969 has a recipe for them on page
144. I'm sure they are an older cookie than that and may have existed
under a different name. Snickerdoodle sounds vaguely Low German to me,
although it would be pronounced Shnikerdoodle, sort of like the low German
(or as we would have said "Plaatduutsch")  Schnikelhannes or
Schnikelpeter, etc. For some reason, butter cookies rolled in
cinnamon sugar just seems to fit.
Anybody else out there grow up in a partially Volga German household?
(And, if they did, could they give me the recipe for Rice and Rivel Soup?)

Allen
maberry at u.washington.edu