"Mindblindness" (NEWSWEEK autism story)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 25 08:13:39 UTC 2000

     "Mindblindness" is the term that NEWSWEEK has used this week for its
cover story on autism.
     My sister has an autistic son.  "Mindblind" is a term that we never use.
 It's one of those words that snazzy headline writers use, but real people
seldom use.  "He has autism" is usually sufficient.
     My sister has argued that I shouldn't give anything to New York City,
ADS, DARE, or others while we have autism in the family.  "What have they
done for you?"
     Well, the New York Times recently corrected the spelling of my name, in
an article that appeared four years ago...