Article from The American Prospect

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Thu Mar 23 19:37:48 UTC 2000

<<<My prediction is that at some time--maybe a hundred or two
hundred years in the future--some other language will arise and gradually
take the dominant place that English now has.  The most likely candidates, I
think, are Spanish and Chinese--although Chinese will have to be used in the
Pinyin spelling or whatever may replace it.>>>

I'd would be curious to know why Spanish and Chinese are the picks.  While those
populations may outnumber many other cultures, I've always thought that
predominance was economically, politically, even militarily based.
Internationally influential cultures hit thier height when other institutions
were strong.  At the very least they are factors. I'm just asking the question.
I am surely no expert here.