clones (early history)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 2 07:21:20 UTC 2001

I was just talking with Ray Jackendoff, who's here today for a
lecture and who--as mentioned this morning--is the co-author of a
paper ("Contrastive Focus Reduplication in English?") on the topic,
and he reminded me of one relatively early example cited in their
paper:

"Take Charley, for example.  He has always associated with the
learned, the gentle, the literate, and the reasonable both in France
and in America.  And Charley is no more like a dog dog than he is
like a cat.  His perceptions are sharp and delicate and he is a
mind-reader."
     --John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley, 1961, p. 98 of the Bantam edition

Two years earlier than the "job job" in Barry's citation, but I'm
sure it goes back before this.  Unfortunately, Nexis doesn't.

larry