free variation in pronunciation

Mon Apr 2 23:03:58 UTC 2001

Although I think /ay/ther is fancy-pants (compared to down-home
/iy/ther), I also recognize the regionality or even individuality of
that response. I am more concered here with the matter of burden of
proof. Lynne lows as how some people who detect shades of meaning
difference (including 'social meaning') have not presented 'empirical
evidence' to support the claim. I am just as unhappy with "as far as
I can tell" claims about free variation. My experience has been that
every time a little closer look is took, free variation disappears.
This is such a common result in careful investigation, that I would
like to declare it a rule: to wit:

Nothing can be said to be in free variation until extensive research
on the probabilistic influences of phonological, morphological,
syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic (including interactional,
attitudinal, etc...) environments on the item in question has been
carried out.

dInIs' Law (but I forgot which one; I made up too dang many)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu