free variation in pronunciation

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon Apr 2 23:28:48 UTC 2001

Alice Faber wrote:

> Agreed. Either and neither with /ai/ have always struck me as
> pretentious, and, consequently, I pronounce both with /e/, unless I'm
> *trying* to be pretentious, not something I often do. But, I think
> Lynne was asking about people for whom it's *not* pretentious and who
> use the two pronunciations interchangeably.

Actually, I'm not asking about people who use nayther/ayther at all!  I'm
asking for other examples of lexical free variation.  Rest assured that
some people do have both  pronunciations and use them interchangeably.
Obviously, this is not possible in all dialects, but is in mine.  I used to
think that the /ay/ pronunciation was more emphatic in my speech, until some-
one pointed out to me that I use both in non-emphatic and emphatic contexts.

I'm just wondering if anyone else can think of any other words with such free
variation intradialectally.

Lynne