free variation in pronunciation

Tue Apr 3 12:54:37 UTC 2001

Lynne hits the nail on the head here. I take the two forms - two
meanings (in the broad sense) to be a pretty good general account, so
much so that I would want to examine claims to the contrary (and free
variation is always such a claim) very carefully. One thing that does
not qualify (in my opinion) as careful consideration of such claims
is self-report. If the Observer's Paradox ever raised its ugly head,
it is surely when the observer is self.

Of course, I take all this self-report to be enormously good material
for folk linguistics.

dInIs (another of whose laws is "Never say what anybody else said;
while you're at it, never say what you said." - where 'say what was
said' means "Give an accurate account of the linguistic detail of
what was uttered." Again, I done forgot which number this law is.)

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
preston at pilot.msu.edu