free variation in pronunciation

Tue Apr 3 13:54:19 UTC 2001

I am away from my childhood reading at the moment, but I will check
tonight. I'm not so sure it isn't the French dialectologists rather
than the German philologists we are after here.

Bolinger, of course, showed more distributional variation within what
we might call "linguistic form" rather than that based on affective
or socially stratified or associated meanings.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages