free variation in pronunciation

Tue Apr 3 16:04:01 UTC 2001

A very good example of the sort I was referring to before, in which
report of free variation disappears when the data are examined. In
this case (with "wake") I can offer some data and statistical
analysis from Michigan. It's in Dennis R. Preston. 1996.
(a)w{o,a}ke(en)(ed) (up). J. Klemola, M. Kytö, and M. Rissanen (eds),
Speech past and present: Studies in English dialectology in memory of
Ossi Ihalainen. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, pp.  343-84. The
variation found in this study was very far from 'free' (and
completely below the conscious awareness of the speakers).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages