free variation in pronunciation

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 3 16:10:34 UTC 2001

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>A. Murie <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM> writes:
>

>Roof and root are both examples where it seems to me that whether the
>double o is pronounced as in /good/ or as in /food/ is pretty free.  At
>least I might say either at any time without noticing that I was making a
>choice. Whether this is also true for hoof, I'm less sure, though I know
>both pronunciations are used, but perhaps by different people.
><<<<<
>
>Which brings to mind a different kind of potential free variation to look
>for: strong vs. weak forms. Hooves/hoofs, leaped/leapt, dove/dived.

The only reason I wouldn't call dove/dived free variation for me is
that I don't use either form. In my childhood, both forms were used
around me, and no matter which one I used, someone would correct me.
So I just started avoiding using the past tense of dive altogether.
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963