a publishing dilemma

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Apr 5 01:53:31 UTC 2001

    I would like to encourage the Kantowitzes to publish their work;
it would be a shame if their scholarly book-length manuscript
remained largely inaccessible to the scholarly community.
    A few possibilities come to mind. They can arrange to have the
book published themselves, with a camera-ready copy. A very limited
edition (100 copies; fewer, if necessary) should keep the
publication-cost reasonable. They can then put a rather high price on
the book to cover the costs of further printings, if necessary. The
key to recognition is to get the book reviewed in at least one
leading scholarly journal.
     I'd also consider publishing at least parts of the book in my
_Comments on Etymology_. In any case, if the Kantowitzes are willing
to get the project cranked up again, I'd be happy to brainstorm with
them about the best way to proceed.

--Gerald Cohen
Professor of German and Russian
(research specialty: etymology)