Origin of "hot dog"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Thu Apr 5 02:26:26 UTC 2001

Dear Mr. Squatriglia,

    Barry Popik is correct when he says that the term "hot dog" did
not originate at the Polo Grounds ca. 1906. T.A. Dorgan, who
supposedly drew the Polo Grounds "hot dog" cartoon arrived in NYC in
1903 (from San Francisco). So his Polo Grounds "hot dog" cartoon
(which, by the way is non-existent) could not have been drawn prior
to that date. Meanwhile, the term is well attested in college slang
in the late 1890's.
     Popik, OED consultant David Shulman, and I have done considerable
work on  the term "hot dog," written up in the series of working
papers I edit, _Comments on Etymology_. If you would like further
information on the subject, I'd be happy to provide it.  Meanwhile,
if you'd like information about an interesting term with roots in San
Francisco, just ask about "jazz."

Sincerely,
Gerald Cohen
Professor of German and Russian