Game Theory

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 8 20:19:39 UTC 2001

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, James A. Landau wrote:

> There is a Web site on "Earliest Known Uses of Some of the Words of
> Mathematics" at http://members.aol.com/jeff570/mathword.html.  This Web site
> is the source of the 1954 citation cited above.  I trust Mr. Shapiro will be
> pleased to learn that his 1946-7 citation has already been posted there
> (where it will be seen by an OED editor who specializes in scientific
> terminology.)

The "Earliest Known Uses" site is pretty derivative of Merriam-Webster and
the OED.  I am sure Jesse Sheidlower picks up antedatings from this list
without needing help from "Earliest Known Uses" posting items, not to
mention the fact that I sent the citation in question to Oxford some time
ago.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,