Game Theory

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 9 00:55:08 UTC 2001

In a message dated 04/08/2001 4:52:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU writes:

> > There is a Web site on "Earliest Known Uses of Some of the Words of
>  > Mathematics" at http://members.aol.com/jeff570/mathword.html.
>
>  The "Earliest Known Uses" site is pretty derivative of Merriam-Webster and
>  the OED.

As a contributor to http://members.aol.com/jeff570/mathword.html, I beg to
differ.

A quick count of the terms beginning in "a" shows 17 whose citations come
from the OED and 56 whose citations do not.  There are no terms from
Merriam-Webster beginning with "a" although there are some beginning with
other letters.  I think your "pretty derivative" is an unfair description.

     - James A. Landau