Third Generation (continued); Here, There and Everywhere

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 12 17:03:31 UTC 2001

THIRD GENERATION (continued)

   NYHT, 8 April 1964, pg. 31, col. 4:

   "In view of the advance buildup, it was interesting but no blockbuster," said Radio Corp. of America's Edward B. McCollister.  He is vice president in charge of operations of the company's electronic data processing division.
   "I share a certain feeling of relief as a result of being given the facts instead of rumors," said Mr. McCollister.  "I don't mean to take anything away from IBM," he added.  "They have widened the range of capabilities of computer system, but their new computers do not represent a true third-generation technology."
(...)

HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE

   From the Beatles, REVOLVER, recorded in June 1966.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, Real Estate section 3, 19 April 1964, pg. 10, col. 1:

_And Everywhere_

"A COSTELLO"

   Not in the RHHDAS.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 25 February 1964, pg. 17, col. 1:

_Will TV Camera View of Baker Be "A Costello"?_
(...)
   If he does, what the TV news people call "a Costella" could result.  The camera might be allowed to show only (Bobby--ed.) Baker's hands--not his face.
   Many viewers would be immediately reminded of the famous Kefauver crime hearings of 1951 when TV was allowed to show only the hands of racketeer Frank Costello during the testimony.

THREE SEWERS

   From NEW YORK magazine of the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, "Stickball in Washington Heights," 1 March 1964, pg. 56, col. 2:

   The ambition of every slugger in stickball was to hit "three sewers."  The sewers in New York side streets are spaced ideally for stickball.  Home plate is a sewer cover and then counting out, one sewer is second base, number two is in the outfield and number three would mean a slam to the monuments in center field at Yankee Stadium.

WHEELCHAIR BASKETBALL

   Not in the OED.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 2 April 1964, pg. 20, col. 1:

_Wheelchair Basketball Gets Rolling_

CROWD ENGINEER

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 26 March 1964, pg. 20 col. 2 obituary:

   _Bane of Gate Crashers_
_Andy Frain Dead,_
_"Crowd Engineer"_
(...)  ...hire my crew as $5-to-$10-a-night ushers and we'll guarantee to eliminate the chiseling by which $1-a-night men let gate-crashers sneak in.  The Frain plan worked and, over the years, he expanded to handle all the big sports events and political conventions.

SANTA CLAUS RALLY

   It's NOT in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 24 December 1963, pg. 19, col. 7:

_Where's That Rally?_
   Year-end rally spirit was definitely lacking...

YUMPIN' YIMMINY

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 10 April 1964, pg. 14, col. 5:

_"Yumpin' Yimminy" Brendel,_
_The Swede Who Wasn't, Dies_
(Col. 6--ed.)
   It is a fitting Hollywood paradox that the man who made a trade-mark of a Swedish accent should have been the Philadelphia-born son of a Bavarian and an Irish colleen.
   "I realized when I decided to go on the stage I must have a trade-mark," Mr. (El--ed.) Brendel once said.  "There were hundreds of Jewish comedians but few Swedish (Col. 7--ed.) comics, so my wife and I did a specialty in which I played a Swede."

SAMMY GLICK'S HOLLYWOOD GLOSSARY

   From the NEW YORK section of the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 16 February 1964, pg. 21, col. 2:

_Sammy Glick's Hollywood Glossary_
By Budd Schulberg

HAPPYTOWN--Sammy's glickism for Hollywood.
ORIGINAL STORY
LOCAL COLOR--A suntan.
CLASS--Nobody in Hollywood can afford to be without it.
SWITCH
SWITCHEROO--What Sammy calls it after he's done it.
SWEETIE, SWEETHEART, BABY, TOOTSIE, LOVER--A producer, director or star--any celebrity with whom you are barely on speaking terms.
MY BESST FRIEND--Any celebrity who happens to pass by your table at Ciro's.
CIRO'S--Hollywood's all-night diner--with mink.
SWEETEST GUY IN THE WORLD--The producer who just hired you.
GENIUS--Almost anybody.
CLEVER GENIUS--Almost anybody--only with an idea.
SCREEN WRITERS GUILD
I LOVE YOU
WEEKEND IN TIAJUANA
THE TEAM
A SMASH--Your last picture.
A TURKEY--Your rival's last picture.
PHONY
IT STINKS--Suggesting faint disapproval.
I LOVE IT--Popular synonym for above.
A HACK--Last year's Pultizer Prize-winner, now a little short on cash.
HACK WRITING TEAM
HOLLYWOOD COLUMNIST
THAT BIG BREAK
CASTING COUCH
(Col. 3--ed.)
CASTING DIRECTOR
BOX OFFICE VALUES--Sadistic Sex, Mother Love, Children & Dogs, Murder, and a healthy interest in statistics (38-21-36).
A SPECTACLE
ROUGH CUT
EXTRA GIRL--The director's girl friend.
FRONT OFFICE
LOSER
STARLET--More _let_ than _star_.
SUPER-COLOSSAL
LOYALTY--(Obs.) Not common usage in Sammy Glick's Hollywood.
PIONEER
RUM
MALIBU BEACH--Status-by-the-Sea.
GROSSES
HOUSE RECORD
SHORT MEMORY
THE MAJOR STUDIOS
DRAMATIC TRIUMPH--Your agent's description of your performance.
OVER BUDGET
THE LITTLE PEOPLE--TO most people, midgets.  TO Sammy Glick, anyone who can't get into the exectuvie dining room.  Go back to LOSER.
THINK BIG--40-19-38.
GHOST WRITER
LAY AN EGG
ADDITIONAL DIALOGUE