I shall be 17

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Apr 15 23:37:59 UTC 2001

Doug Wilson writes:

>Maybe not only US usage, or maybe this isn't exactly what the Rule says ....

>Consider one of the best known quotations in modern history: Winston
Churchill (1940):

<<We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on
the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing
strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we
shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, ....>>

>Stirring words still ... and the very epitome of emphatic *British*
>determination.
----
Well, of course Winnie had an American mother.  And even though he became
the popular embodiment, for Americans during WW II, of British grit, &c.,
and thus the quintessential Brit himself, it might be more accurate to
regard him as /sui generis./ I think his speech mannerisms were very much
his own.
A. Murie