Who's buried in Grant's tomb? (1964); Ich Bin Ein Berliner; Defoliation

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 12 22:53:46 UTC 2001

WHO'S BURIED IN GRANT'S TOMB?

   Not Grant.  He's above the ground--not buried.  Gotcha!
   Who started the question (also, "Where is Grant buried?")?
   The question is one of five in an ad for GOOD HOUSEKEEPING in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 27 May 1964, pg. 44, col. 2:

Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?
What was George Washington's first name?
Who discovered Newton's Law?
When did they fight the War of 1812?
Who wrote Beethoven's Fifth?
(...)
Who leads the women's service field? (...)
GOOD HOUSEKEEPING

ICH BIN EIN BERLINER (continued)

   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 30 May 1964, pg. 3, col. 1:

   The program (JFK's birthday--ed.) included film clips of the President's speech in West Berlin when he won an ovation with his declaration in German: "Ich bin ein Berliner"..."I am a Berliner."
   _"WAS NOT A LINGUIST"_
   Mrs. Kennedy said the President "was not a linguist, although he used to make me give speeches in Spanish."  She said he had the phrase in English in his speech but at the scene asked West German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer's interpreter to give him the German version.
   Mayor Brandt, brought into the program by Telstar, said Mr. Kennedy's use of the phrase had a great impact, not only upon the West Berliners...

DEFOLIATION

   OED has July 1964.
   From the SUNDAY HERALD TRIBUNE, 31 May 1964, section 2, page 1, Art Buchwald column:

_Deoliate or Die_
WASHINGTON.
   WHEN Barry Goldwater was interviwed last Sunday on television, he suggest that one of the ways of destroying the Viet Cong's supply lines in the jungles was to destroy the foliage with low-yield atomic weapons.  "When you remove the foliage, you remove the cover," the Senator was quoted as saying.  This, we discovered, is known in military terms as "defoliation."