THEORY OF GAMES, 1944

Mark Klan markklan at PLANETC.COM
Thu Apr 12 23:26:46 UTC 2001

James A. Landau wrote:
> PPS: come to think of it, let's try
> "Yes.  I found his new game theory intriguing, but I don't think he did
>  a good job of showing how it reconciles with the received theory of
>  games."
> since the word "received" prevents ambiguity.

My point was that, as an economist, I don't think economists would
would ever utter the phrase you've constructed from my original dialogue
(by reversing the occurrence of "game theory" and "theory of games").  I
believe this is because "game theory" is always taken as shorthand for
the specific body of theory established by von Neumann and
Morgenstern.

So "new game theory" sounds funny to my ear in a way that "a new
theory of games" does not.  YMMV.

Mark
http://www.planetc.com/users/msk (Acoustic Music Webtools)
markklan at planetc.com