Query re ANYMORE

Michael Montgomery N270053 at VM.SC.EDU
Fri Apr 13 14:49:35 UTC 2001

Dear ADS-Listers:

Is anyone familiar with _anymore_ as used in the sentences below?
This might seem to be the garden variety of the adverbial since
it apparently occurs only in negative contexts, but the sense
here ("again, from now or then on") is one that does not appear
in the OED or DARE (or any of several other dictionaries I have
consulted).  Part of what is unusual is the type of verb in
these (i.e. punctual) in these sentences, which are from the
speech of the Smoky Mountains of TN/NC.  I'd be grateful for any
comments or other attestations.  Perhaps there's a good lexico-
graphic reason why they are not to be found in dictionaries,
but I do not seee it.  They're perfectly idiomatic to me.

Michael Montgomery
U of South Carolina

He never remarried anymore.

I said "Leery, if you say that anymore to this horse, I'll jump
on you."

He never did come back to the fox hunt any more.

I didn't live here anymore after that until about twenty-one
years ago.

There was very little whiskey made back in there anymore.