Query re ANYMORE

P2052 at AOL.COM P2052 at AOL.COM
Fri Apr 13 19:44:35 UTC 2001

The examples cited below by Montgomery appear to be an emphatic, as in
"(n)ever again."

       "He never remarried anymore." (Never again did he remarry; He never
again
        remarried."
)
         "I said 'Leery, if you say that anymore to this horse, I'll jump on
you.'" ("I said,
          'Leery, if you (ever) say that (again) to this horse, I'll jump on
you.'"

         "He never did come back to the fox hunt any more."(Never again did
he come
          back to the fox hunt."
         "I didn't live here anymore after that until about twenty-one years
ago."
          (Never again did I live here after that--that is until about
twenty-one years ago.)

Again alone does not seem to capture the intensity of the utterance, or even
the agitated state of the speaker.  (N)ever is what appears to adds that
intensity, or emphasis.
                                                       P-A-T