Query re ANYMORE

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Fri Apr 13 17:55:13 UTC 2001

"Anymore" in an affirmative sense as "again" or "nowadays" is cited in
at least two news/feature articles on Pittsburgh speech culled from
local publications.  George Swetnam, "Pittsburgh Patois", Pittsburgh
Press, 9-Sep-1959, p. 4 of Sunday Family insert, uses "You're getting
fat, any more" as an example (he compares it to the use of the word
"schon" in German).

Si Bloom, "Every One Talks Funny But Us", The Pittsburgher, v.1, n.3,
Aug. 1977 also comments on the positive use of anymore as a feature of
local speech (as opposed to the interrogative and negative usage in
"accent-battered New York City").

A more scholarly citation:  Youmans, Gilbert, "Any More on Anymore?:
Evidence from a Missouri Dialect Survey", American Speech, 1986, 61, 1,
spring, 61-75 discusses the the positive and negative uses of "anymore"
in data collected from Missouri college students' speech.