Paraplegic.

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Sat Apr 14 21:12:08 UTC 2001

Anne Gilbert wrote:

>   "Nucular" is a popular pronunication
> for "nuclear", even among people who will use "reservwah"(a sort of French
> pronunciation) to suggest their education.

I think most people pronounce things as they're used to hearing them
pronounced.  I'm not sure what you mean about "reservwah" suggesting
someone's education.  Assuming that you're talking about the word
"reservoir," I've heard it pronounced "reservwah" many, many times,
by people of all levels of education.  Although I've never researched
it, my guess is that there's an age division among the people I've
heard use the word most often -- people who live or do business "at
the reservoir" near Jackson, Mississippi, my hometown.  Younger speakers
in Mississippi are much more r-ful than their elders.  My guess is that
most speakers over seventy who mention the reservoir near Jackson
pronounce it in what you're calling a French way.  Oops.  I just noticed
that middle r.  I don't think I've ever heard it pronounced.  That
syllable would be [s]+schwa.
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)