reservoir.

Tue Apr 17 14:05:44 UTC 2001

Well, over in Nawbny itself, this pronunciation (two syllables) was
so common that it was even joke-spelled that way on a paper place mat
at a local restaurant.

Many Nawbnians also called the thing up on Silver Hills which
supplied us with our (shudder!) water a reservoir without no /w/.

Of course,there was a lot of local variation, and you could have
missed these more down-home pronunciations depending on who you hung
around with (especially, perhaps,  if that's "whom you hung around
with" for you). Course I don't want to foment no class warfare. Got
to look at all social strata in the linguistic enterprise.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages