Ah so! The hot dog!

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 19 22:10:36 UTC 2001

AH SO (continued)

LETTERS OF A JAPANESE SCHOOLBOY
("Hashimura Togo")
by Wallace Irwin
Doubleday, Page & Company, New York
1907, 1908 by P. F. Collier & Son
1909 by Doubleday, Page & Company

Pg. 95:
   Best nourishment may be obtained for 5 cents by ordering 3 sausages from Frankfurt Germany with slice of toast.
   Yesterday I go as customary to this.  As customary I say, "Give me the same, those 3 sausages from Frankfurter."
   And Mr. Swartz, turning to cookeryman, cry with voice:
   "Hot-dog!"
   Therefore I must not eat them food because it is cannibalism.  If Mr. Swartz is not speaking Slank talk, then he should be sent to prison for Pure Food Laws.

Pg. 203:
   When Uncle Nichi hear-it all them record of horble crimes he become seriously Japanese.
   "O-so!" he-say, "Must there be a war between America & England because of a mere feet-race?"

HOT DOG
(not continued, a brand new topic, something we've _never_ covered here, the "hot dog")

   I did this eight years ago.  It's like asking a college-bound high school senior about his fourth-grade paper.
   Attached is part of a response from Bruce Kraig, who provides a theory of the TAD-origin story.  TAD died in May 1929, and his obituaries mentioned many of his coinages (but NOT "hot dog").
   I told this to World Wide Words recently, but here goes again:

June 1930, THE RESTAURANT MAN, pg. 15:
_Harry Stevens--Caterer to Millions_
By Charles Ward
(Pg. 16, col. 1--ed.)
   Also decorating the walls are a number of original cartoons in frames, most of them by the late T. A. Dorgan--Tad, as he was known and beloved by thousands of his admirers.  Tad is the father of modern slang and he is said to have been the first one to call a frankfurter sandwich a "hot dog."  The original cartoon in which this reference is made is among those adorning the Stevens office.

   The RHHDAS has September 1961 hot the first "hot dog" in a surfing context.  I was going to research this more on a wedding trip to Maui, but no one wants to marry me.

KNOW-HOW IN THE SURF
by John Bloomfield,D.P.E.
A former Australian Surfing representative
Angus and Robertson, Sydney
1959

Pg. 62:  The "pig" board, which is from 8 to 10 feet long with a slight turn-up at the nose and a wide back.

Pg. 68:
_"Hot-dogging"_.  This means to "zig-zag" the board from one side to the other.  It is simple to carry out and can be done by changing the rider's balance from one side to the other.  The rider must move towards the tail of the board to carry this out.

SURFING IN HAWAII:
A PERSONAL MEMOIR
By Desmond Muirhead
Northland Press, Flagstaff, Arizona
1962

Pg. 82:
   Most hot-doggers, these days, are not merely content to zig-zag from side to side with their arms outstretched in a straight line.  They also want to do head dips, nose walking, toes over's, whip-turns, head stands, hand stands, riding backward, tandem surfing, _Quasimodos_, _Mysteriosos_, _El Spontaneos_ and other improvisations of the fertile minds of the top exponents of hot-doggery.

Pg. 95 (photo caption):
Famed Aussie hot-dogger, Midget Farrelly, at Pupukea--photo Muirhead