Opp. of "oxymoron"

Sun Apr 22 13:28:25 UTC 2001

If you are looking for technical terms, "redundancy" is just right
since it has no pejorative sense among linguists, but I suspect you
are right that real people probably have this sense. But then that
doesn;t stop us from calling ourselves the "ADS," and "dialect" is
surely more pejorative than "redundant" among real people.

dInIs

>Found at http://members.nbci.com/_______/news/kibology00047.html
>(originally posted to alt.religion.kibology by "SWT"
><dumplechan at hotmail.com> on 27 Jun 2000):
>
>"Append to end" isn't an oxymoron. It is (at least for my idiolect's
>definition of "append") redundant - or to put it more charitably, call
>it
>"oxybrilliant" since it's the opposite of oxymoron.  Wow, that's so
>'oxy!
>

>Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>>
>>  A colleague just asked if there is a word for the opposite of "oxymoron,"
>>  referring to the use of two terms of similar meaning, like perhaps "dead
>>  loss." The problem with terms like "tautology" or "redundancy" is that
>>  these are generally used in reference to disapproved usages, and we're
>>  looking for a term that refers in a favorable way to such constructions
>>  esp. when used for deliberate rhetorical effect.
>>
>>  Any ideas?
>>
>>  Jesse Sheidlower
>
>--
>Andrew Danielson                   Admin for Profs. Fedder, Gabriel
>  Carnegie Mellon University                      Krogh, & Rajkumar
>   Electrical & Computer                     +1 412 268-2188 Voice
>    Engineering Department                    +1 412 268-3890 Fax
>     5000 Forbes Ave.              http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~dmunk
>      Pittsburgh, PA  15213              drew.danielson at cmu.edu

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages