Howdy Club (1937)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 22 02:30:22 UTC 2001

HOWDY CLUB (continued)

Winter Edition
1937-1938
GOING PLACES
IN NEW YORK CITY
Being a Compilation of Places
to Go and Things to See.
THE BRROKLYN DAILY EAGLE
Edited by H. D. COPP

Pg. 38:
Gipsy Tavern...444 Washington Sq. South
Inexpensive and interesting.  The Saturday night dances get a gay crowd.  Entertainment too.
(...)
Howdy Club...47 West 3rd St.
The pansies that bloom in the spring, tra-la--along with most any other old thing, tra-la.  It's tagged "a rendezvous for sophisticates" and you can take it or leave it or take it.

(The "gay" in the Gipsy Tavern does not mean "homosexual."  The Howdy Club was the _only_ one of the 19 Greenwich Village places listed that appears to cater to this crowd--ed.)

MISC. ON LAST POSTS

   I shouldn't have added that Spike Lee story.  I had just never heard anyone cite the Oxford American Dictionary before--ANYONE.  Or, in an article, admit use of an abridged dictionary with limited etymologies as "trusty."
   OED and M-W have 1948 for "dim sum."