'Mountain boomer' = hillbilly (fwd)

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Fri Apr 27 03:52:39 UTC 2001

This from one of my colleagues, who is a native of northern Alabama:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:51:04 -0700
From: Robert Houston <houston at u.arizona.edu>
To: Rudolph C Troike <rtroike at U.Arizona.EDU>
Subject: Re: 'Mountain boomer' = hillbilly

Dear Rudy,

         I haven't heard of a "mountain boomer."  We just called mountain
folk hillbillies or ridge runners.  But there was a term used in Western
hard-rock mining circles (e.g. Bisbee, eta al) for men who were basically
tramp miners, going from mine to mine and working just long enough to get a
stake to move on.  They were called "ten-day boomers," since 10 days was
about as long as they'd ever stick around.  Whether that's by analogy to
"mountain boomers" or visa versa I don't know, but I've always guessed that
it had something to do with the metaphoric "big noise" they made when they
blew into town.  But as I think about it, I wonder if it "boomer" might
have derived from one of the many languages tramps and tramp miners, often
immigrants, spoke.  Cf. "bindlestiff," for a hobo, with reference to the
"bindle" (Scandinavian?) or bundle that he carried at the end of a stick
over his shoulder.

Best,
Bob

Robert Houston
Dept. of English/Creative Writing Program
The University of Arizona
Tucson, Az 85721
520-621-1836