'Mountain boomer' = hillbilly (fwd)

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at NYU.EDU
Fri Apr 27 12:40:41 UTC 2001

I came across this same sense yesterday when looking quickly for "mountain
boomer." "Boomer" in the sense attested below means a temporary worker who
seeks employment in a place when there is a "boom," i.e., an economic
expansion, and then moves on when the boom ends. "Boom" in the sense of
"economic expansion" grows out of "boom" in the sense of a loud, echoing,
"expanding" noise. So "boomer" in the sense attested below is etymologically
related to the "boomer" in "mountain boomer," but the semantic relationship
of the two senses is not close. Given our struggles with the actual meaning
of the "boom" in "mountain boomer," your informant's construction of an
"origin" for "boomer = temp employee" is interesting.

BTW, doesn't the word "humorously" in one of the existing OED2 cites for
"mountain boomer" suggest that the word for the squirrel was the original,
serious use, and application of "mounain boomer" to hill dwellers was a
derived sense, a cute assimilation of putatively uncouth uplanders to
loud-mouth squirrels?

Greg Downing, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at nyu.edu