FW: Regarding copyrights and full article quotes

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Apr 29 15:19:40 UTC 2001

Several points re copyright and fair use.  Please use your "delete" key now
if you consider this off-topic.

1. Copyright is violated if the full text of an article (or book, or
recorded song, etc.) is reproduced in any form without permission.  The fact
that the copyright holder will not likely pursue the matter legally (as when
the copy is posted on the ADS list) does not mean that it is not a
violation.

2. If the copyright holder has posted an article on the Web with a way to
send or forward the full text to others, that would seem to constitute
permission to reproduce.  But in the case of articles from the online NY
Times and Wall Street Journal, for example, one actually send a link, I
believe.  There is an implied difference.

3. Technology has obviously made it much easier to violate copyright law,
but the ease with which it can be done does not mean it is right or to be
encouraged.

4. Copyright law is intended to protect anyone creating and disseminating
intellectual creations, and allow that person to receive due credit and, if
appropriate, compensation for the work.  I cannot fathom how this can be
construed as anything but right and sensible.  As info guru Ted Nelson once
pointed out, people write books and such for two basic reasons -- profit and
glory.  Take either of these away, and the motivation to write is much
diminished, if not destroyed.  These motivations are part of human nature,
in my view.  As technology makes traditional copyright protection harder to
enforce, the long-term solution ultimately must address the "profit and
glory" motives of authors and creators.  Would ANY of us expend the time and
effort required for formal publications if we did not expect to get credit
(at least) and get paid for it (even if indirectly)?  I exclude those few
who can work without such concerns owing to independent wealth.

5. I response to another posting (I forget who) re "fair use", I believe the
concept applies only to quotations and other such partial uses of a text,
not the entire text.  Of course, if a teacher copies an article and
distributes it to a class, no one is likely to pursue the matter.  But post
a full text electronically to a discussion group and you have a different
issue.

This is a matter of great concern, I believe, and I felt compelled to
respond to the recent thread.

Frank Abate