"jazz" (in Paris) 1908 is unlikely

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Apr 30 02:12:22 UTC 2001

    Of course, all leads for a pre-1913 attestation of musical "jazz"
must be checked out. But I cannot help feeling skeptical about a
supposed attestation turning up in a 1908 Paris newspaper while the
newspapers of America (where the term originated) do not mention
musical "jazz" for at least another five or six years. (Set aside
OED2's 1909 "jazz" as an error).

---Gerald Cohen