White Milk.

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Mar 11 04:32:50 UTC 2001

> >Midwestern usage [ for AT LEAST half a century ]
> >for commercial milk without the "home grown"
> >amount of cream -- also distinguished it from
> >buttermilk.

Sounds reasonable -- but I've never heard it myself. When I was young, say
1960, there were what we called "regular" milk with cream on top,
homogenized milk, buttermilk (which was not used by my family), chocolate
milk ... and -- I think -- skim milk (we didn't use this). "White milk"
would have meant "milk which was white", and this is how I would use it
today: "Kids, do you want chocolate milk or white milk?"

-- Doug Wilson