Tish Pishti

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 2 06:03:21 UTC 2002

Mark A Mandel said:
>For Passover my wife made a "soaked cake" called Tish Pishti. The recipe
>was described as a Judeo-Spanish dish, but the book it was taken from
>(with attribution) says it is Turkish, which is a much more plausible
>source for a name like that. *Is* it Turkish? Are the "i"s front or
>back? What does it mean?

There's no contradiction. When the Jews were expelled from Spain in 1492, a
lot of them fetched up in Turkey (and the Balkans and...). My Claudia Roden
cookbook (The Book of Jewish Food) describes it as a "Judeo-Spanish
specialty of Turkey". It looks delicious, but *awfully* sweet...

--
Alice Faber                                  tel. (203) 865-6163 x258
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511