pididdle -- when the game started

Scott Sadowsky lists at SPANISHTRANSLATOR.ORG
Thu Mar 7 19:43:52 UTC 2002

On 3/7/2002 12:34 PM, Richard Gage wrote the following:

>I first heard about "piddiddle" from my dad, who came of driving age
>in 1945.  I can't recall all the particulars of the story he told
>me, so I've sent him an e-mail.  But apparently, from what I do
>remember, teenagers in mid-1940's central Pennsylvania knew all
>about "piddiddle."  So the game is at least that old.

The only time I've heard the word "pediddle" [sic?] used was by an
upper-middle class, currently 60-ish Pittsburgher of Italian descent who
used it to refer to cars with one (and only one) headlight burnt out.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott Sadowsky  --  Spanish-English / English-Spanish Translator

sadowsky at spanishtranslator.org · sadowsky at bigfoot.com
http://www.spanishtranslator.org
"So deeply rooted is the market economy in our minds that its grubby
language has replaced our most hallowed moral and spiritual expressions. We
now "invest" in our children, marriages, and personal relationships, a term
that is equated with words like "love" and "care." We live in a world of
"trade-offs" and we ask the for the "bottom line" of any emotional
"transaction." We use the terminology of contracts rather than that of
loyalities and spiritual affinities."
   -- Murray Bookchin