Pope's Nose (1855); Scripture Cake (1896)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 17 21:42:45 UTC 2002

   DARE has "pope's nose" (1866) and "scripture cake" (1906).  I do not imply that these items are related.  Caution should be used in serving them together.
   Both of these citations are from the American Periodical Series online.

   1 December 1855, GRAHAM'S AMERICAN MONTHLY MAGAZINE OF LITERATURE, ART, AND FASHION, pg. 527:
   She sees them (Chickens--ed.) dressed (undressed I would call it, for there is not a feather on them) and lying fat and quiet on their backs, with wings folded and legs crossed; their heads are gone, but it matters not, for there is small expression in the head of a hen, 'tis in the side bone, as I think, one looks for that, and in the pope's nose.

   September 1896, LADIES' HOME JOURNAL, pg. 27:
MRS. M--At the cake table at the bazaar sell what is known as a "Scripture Cake."  With each cake should go a typewritten copy of the receipt included in a sealed envelope:

Four and a half cups of 1 Kings 4:22;
One and a half cups of Judges 5:25 (last clause);
Two cups of Jeremiah 6:20 (sugar);
Two cups of 1 Samuel 30:12 (raisins);
Two cups of Nahum 3:12;
One cups of Numbers 17:8;
Two tablespoonfuls of 1 Samuel 14:25;
Season to taste of II Chronicles 9:9;
Six of Jeremiah 17:11;
Half cup of Judges 4:19 (last clause);
Two teaspoonfuls of Amos 4:5 (baking powder).

   Follow Solomon's prescription for making a good boy, Proverbs 23:14, and you will have a good cake.