Irving Lewis Allen died

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Apr 6 21:20:34 UTC 2003

    I have sad news to pass along: I hadn't heard from Irving Lewis
Allen for a while and today received a message from his wife that he
passed away in June after a six-month illness from cancer.

    Irving was Professor of Sociology at the University of Connecticut
at Storrs and authored (among other works) _The City in Slang: New
York Life and Popular Speech_ (New York: Oxford University Press),
1993. We were in frequent contact during his preparation of the book
and remained in touch afterwards too.

Gerald Cohen