Butter Clam (1924, 1928, 1932, 1935)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 6 21:24:19 UTC 2003

   OED has no entry and only one mention of "butter clams" in 1962.
   I have to do something for those readers at the University of Washington.

(FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION by Sharon Herbst)
butter clam
A small, sweet, hard-shell clam from Puget Sound. Butter clams can be cooked in a variety of ways, including steaming, stewing and frying.

(WORLDCAT)
Title: The morphology of the Butter clam, Saxidomus giganteus, Deshayes Author: Rosen, Hilda Florence
Libraries with Item: "The morphology of the But..."( Record for Item )Location  Library  Code
WA UNIV OF WASHINGTON LIBR  WAU
Libraries that Own Item: 1
Title: The morphology of the Butter clam, Saxidomus giganteus, Deshayes ...
Author(s): Rosen, Hilda Florence.
Year: 1924
Language: English
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Clams.
Note(s): Type-written./ Each plate accompanied by guard-sheet with descriptive letter-press./ Bibliography: L.35-39./ Dissertation: A thesis submitted for the degree of Master of Science--University of Washington, 1924.
Material Type: Thesis/dissertation (deg); Manuscript text (mtx)
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19961010
Update: 19961010
Accession No: OCLC: 35712401
Database: WorldCat

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
 Forum and Century (1930-1940), New York; Dec 1932; Vol. VOL. LXXXVIII, Iss. 0
  We Americans; I--Fred salo, the Forgotten Man I ; by TOM JONES PARRY; pg. 330, 6 pgs
(Pg. 334:  The tide was way out when they got to the point, and they dug a whole truck load of razor-back and butter clams, and some of the men got gooey ducks.)

(JSTOR)
A Study of the Animal Communities of a Restricted Area of Soft Bottom in the San Juan Channel (in Some Marine Biotic Communities of the Pacific Coast of North America; Part II. A Study of the Animal Communities of a Restricted Area of Soft Bottom in the San Juan Channel)
Nettie M. Wismer; John H. Swanson
Ecological Monographs, Vol. 5, No. 3. (Jul., 1935), pp. 333-354.
(Pg. 349:  _Fraser, C. McLean and Smith, Gertrude M._  1928b.  Notes on the ecology of the butter clam, Saxidomus giganteus Deshayes.  Trans. Roy. Soc. Can. Ser. 3  22:271-286.